Thursday, April 21, 2022

Light and Love

The title of my blog site is in Quechua, the native language of the people of Peru. Kanchay means Light (Jn 8:12) and Munay means Love (Mt 22:37-39). It reflects what my mission is all about: to be in constant awareness of Christ’s light and love and be His light and love to all wherever I am, here and now. How is He using me as His instrument to be of service to all I encounter in the moment? It is not an easy task to say the least, given my human foibles and weaknesses! Whoever said following Him was easy? With faith, He is leading me on, if I only trust -- “Let go and let God, Lucy" (my name means Light, Mt. 5:14) -- my constant mantra during the intensive 4 months mission training. I made it through with some serious doubts (Lk 8:25) along the way: "Is it I Lord?"

A picture of my 1st day of school, just arrived off the Combi bus

So here I am, being sent to Lima, Peru, in trepidation and wondrous anticipation on the first baby step of my mission -- to learn, understand and to speak Spanish fluently -- what an indomitable task (Mk11:22-23). My friends believe I can do it; that certainly helps alot! Elise reminds me to be kind and gentle with myself.

My teachers: Rosa, Luisa and Pilar

Hence, I am slowly adjusting to my life as a student and to my new environment of a bustling, congested, sprawling capital city. The Peruvian people I have met have been very gracious, kind and patient especially Haydee, the person in charge of the mission house I am staying at, and my teachers. Learning a new language certainly teaches me to be like a child, to be curious, patient and humble. I just passed my first exam. Whew! What a relief!

"We are only God's light bulbs, and our job is just to remain screwed in!"
Nobel Peace prize winner, the late Desmond Tutu

Happy Easter to one and all!





 


1 comment:

El Senor de los Milagros

"El Senor de los Milagros" is a uniquely Catholic feast celebrated only in Peru. One of the world's largest processions are he...